Please note that the information on this page relates to CPD modules/courses which are accredited by the University of Sheffield or Sheffield Hallam University.
Where will the modules/courses be held?
- Modules/courses relating to children and families, Leadership and Mentoring, PgCert and Adult Social Worker in the Court will be held at the University of Sheffield . Exact locations will be confirmed once you are registered onto a course
- Modules/courses relating to adult social workers will be held at Sheffield Hallam University. Exact locations will be confirmed once you are registered onto the course
- Practice Educator modules are not yet confirmed, but please note that these may be held at a location within South Yorkshire but outside of Sheffield.
How much does a module/course cost?
- The majority of modules cost £500/£585 per student for 15 credits and £1000 per student for 30 credits. The PG Cert in Leadership and Management costs £3000 per student. If you are nominated for a module then these costs will be covered by your employer as part of their commitment to your continuing professional development.
- Please note that if you discontinue a module/course without good reason, or fail to show satisfactory attendance, then you may be required to repay some or all of these costs. Please see the SYTP Learning Contract, for more information
- There may be an opportunity for some students to self-fund places on modules where they are not selected for a funded place. Please see below for more information.
What happens if I am registered on a module/course but can no longer attend?
- The module dates are set out in the CPD brochure (contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a copy). Please ensure that you are free to attend ALL course dates before applying for a place on a module.
- If once you have applied/registered, something comes up and you can no longer attend, you must let both the University and your Workforce Development contact know as soon as possible. Please note that you may be required to repay some or all of the fees, expenses and other costs associated with the Learning Activity if you discontinue the course without sufficient good reason.
- What happens if I miss lectures?
- Please ensure that you are free to attend ALL course dates before applying for a place on a module.
- Please note that you may be required to repay some or all of the fees, expenses and other costs associated with the Learning Activity if you fail to show satisfactory attendance.
- What happens if I am not selected for a place on a module/course?
- If you are not selected for a place on a module or course, then there may be an opportunity for you to self-fund a place via salary sacrifice. Please note that this option may not be available in some areas, and will not be available if a module or course is full.
- Please contact your HR Department or Workforce Development contact for more information.
Do I need to be a registered social worker?
- Yes, you need to be a registered social worker for all modules and courses, with the exception of the PG Cert in Leadership and Management which is also open to non-registered managers who meet the entry criteria.
How do I build up my credits to gain a qualification?
- All CPD modules are accredited and social workers can therefore build up credits towards a range of postgraduate qualifications.
- For modules delivered by the University of Sheffield qualifications can range from a certificate, diploma or MA in Advanced Professional Practice. Credits remain valid for up to 6 years. Please note that the PG Certificate in Management and Leadership is a stand-alone course, and the credits therefore cannot be used towards a diploma or MA in Advanced Professional Practice
- For modules delivered by Sheffield Hallam University the qualification will be a Post Graduate Certificate in Advanced Adult Social Worker
- N.b only a very small number of people will be sponsored by the SYTP to undertake the additional modules required for the full MA at the University of Sheffield. There may be an opportunity for some people to self-fund a place on the MA via salary sacrifice. Please note that this option may not be available in some areas, and will not be available if a module or course is full. Please contact your HR Department or Workforce Development lead for more information.
- N.b. you are not currently able to transfer CPD credits between our two university partners
Will I get study time?
- The South Yorkshire Teaching Partnership recognises the importance of independent study time in enabling staff to fully engage with and reflect on learning, and in ensuring that learning is used to develop and improve their practice. In order to ensure that all staff enrolled on these modules receives study time, we have therefore agreed to build study time into the module timetables.
- For instance, a module might include half a day of self-directed learning in its timetable. The amount of learning time varies per module depending on the format of the module and the number of module credits.
Are the modules open to everyone?
- There are some modules which are aimed at staff from either children and families or adults’ services. Please contact email@example.com for more info